Tuesday, March 13, 2012

I'm a Totally Shameless Copier, But Who Isn't?

Hello & Welcome to The World of Shameless Copying.
I'm not sure if I've ever admitted this before, but I'm a Totally Shameless Copier.
Never had an Original Idea in my life.
But then, who has?
Last week when I was watching At the Movies, a weekly round-up of  newly-released movies, One presenter, Margaret reminded Other Presenter, David, after he bitterly complained that the storyline of the latest action thriller had already been made into a film at least a hundred times before, that, after all, there are only Seven Stories in Storyland.( Quest, Romance, Tragedy, Comedy, Overcoming the Monster, Voyage & Return, Rags to Riches & Rebirth. Sounds like the story on my life. Perhaps it's yours too)
So, I don't feel so bad about No Original Thoughts. Neither should you.


 One of the first ports of call that I always go to if I want to Steal an Idea is The Sartorialist. I bet I'm not alone on that one.
I was thrilled last week or so when I came across the photo above of some wonderful young woman who had an enviable job in fashion, although after watching The Devil Wears Prada a number of times, not to mention loads of The Rachel Zoe Project, I'm not sure that any job in fashion would be enviable.
 Imagine the tyranny of having to race around all day like a Mad Overwound Mechanical Mouse in  Towering Inferno Heels  in order to meet Silly Deadlines ? (Actually, that sadly sounds frighteningly familiar)
 Or having to have the latest 'It' bag even if you hated it, although in my case, hating any 'It' bag would be Virtually Impossible?
Or having to hang clothes up on racks all day? I can barely hang my Own Clothes Up.
And having people who hate you call you 'Darling'?
Anyway, scroll back to the photo of the Young Woman With The Not-So-Enviable-Job. When I clapped eyes on her bejewelled collar I was overjoyed. Surely, I have something similar in my Toy Jewel Cupboard?
A hand crotcheted beaded collar made by the young Masai Girl who sold it to me just before I contracted Salmonella Poisoning from a Seafood Buffet at a Johannesburg Hotel in 2003.
Anyway, I promptly wore my Masai Necklace the v. next day mixing it with some Toy Gold & silver chains in a feeble attempt to emulate The Real Thing, shown above which I totally want to buy but is like 800 bucks.

 And I can't even afford to have a tooth filled at the moment, let alone get Badly Needed Root Canal Therapy or even worse still, have Tooth Implants inserted. I know it's such a downer to bring my Ever-Present Dental Nightmares into the blog post especially since we were having such a nice time up until now. But I just couldn't help it.
Now, where were we? Ah yes, we're out of the dentist's chair & into the magnificent virtual showroom of Dannijo Jewelry, who made the collar. 


I just typed in Scrool instead of 'Scroll'. I must say that I prefer it. It sounds cooler.
Anyway, look at me above at The Usual Sunday Nite Dinner last Sunday. I'm wearing a vintage dress which  is Slightly Old School of Me because over the past three years & seven months, I have been Not So Gradually throwing out all the clothes that I wore before August 2008 & many of these clothes could be loosely called, 'Vintage', but not necessarily In a Good Way.
I'm not going to go into Why I've done that, but suffice to say that I needed A Regime Change.
But for some reason this dress survived.
Or perhaps I bought it only a year or two ago.
 Anyway, last sunday nite was the first time I wore it & it may well be The Last Time. But do note that I peared it with two large Dinosaur Designs pendants that are dangling down like Strange Fruit, but not the kind of fruit in the Billie Holliday song.
I'm finishing up with yet another photo of Someone's Else's Jewels. I soo totally want them.   In case you're wondering, they're presumably owned by the person who is wearing them. Anna Della Russo who is another fashion person, perhaps connected to Vogue Nippon.
 Anna's great.
 She always looks like she's dressed for a Cocktail Party in Hell .
But in a good way.

1 comment:

Darla said...

Stunned that you are throwing out clothes but I suppose you need room in your closet. Love the necklace.

Darla