Friday, April 4, 2008

Babe & Me


This photo of Babe Paley, one of Truman Capote's 'Swan's' has got to be one of my all time favourites. I never get tired of looking at it. It was taken in the 1940s for 'Vogue'. Babe was a huge fashion icon for decades who sadly died of lung cancer. She still looks great smoking, though.
Everything that Babe wore was slavishly copied by women desperate to have a little piece of her personal style. She was the first person to tie a scarf (probably a Hermes) around the strap of her handbag. Later she said that she only did this by accident, but it didn't stop everybody & his dog copying it. In fact, they're still copying her.
I know I'll never be another Babe. Probably a good thing. I'm sure she'd never dream of wearing my huge homemade medallion 'Flapper' necklace & weird bubble-type top featured in the photo.

No comments: