Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Freedom from Magazines

I know this sounds mean, but I kind of find the current financial downturn slightly comforting because it mirrors my own personal financial downturn which sadly has nothing to do with World Markets.
Gone are the days when I'd come home every second day with a fresh new magazine to pour over. I now only buy one magazine a month, the Magnificent 'World of Interiors', which I've been religiously buying since the eighties. 
Nowadays, I read magazines at 'Borders' which is like my local library, or I read or pilfer them from my local cafe, 'Zinc', or I drag them out of the garbage bins in the basement of my apartment building.
Don't feel sorry for me, though. I just love not buying mags. It's True Freedom At Last! 
And I love reading them for free or stealing them or finding them in the rubbish. It's like a little gift from the Universe.
Anyway, I was frantically reading a dog-eared copy of 'New York' mag this morning at 'Zinc' while I was waiting an eternity for my takeaway latte, & I found this page featuring Patti Lupone, a Broadway star who is not really known in Australia as Broadway isn't here. 

I just loved her saying, 'I could see the writing on the wall, so I started writing on the wall'. 
I  wish I had said it. 

3 comments:

janavi said...

Pattie Lupone is a big deal- she was EVITA.
I'm thinking of not renewing some of my subscriptions, but it is very difficult. But of course then there will be less clutter.

Della Street Dreaming said...

Yes, Janavi, living down here at the ends of the earth has it's disadvantages, e.g. not getting to see Patti Lupone as Evita, but seeing Madonna in the film. It's not quite the same thing.

janavi said...

I saw Evita on stage, but have no recollection of who was playing the part- could have been Pattie.
Geoffrey Rush is doing Exit the King- I think it was done in Australia first. Want to go- met him once & he was sooo nice, and a great actor.