Thursday, November 6, 2008

Dressed for Resentment


 Tuesday  was Melbourne Cup Day. It's a Big Yawn of a Horse Race that the whole nation is supposed to stop for each year. Every office has a Melbourne Cup Sweep & people flock to  Melbourne Cup Lunches. It's all supposed to be a Big Celebration of the Great Aussie Larrikin Spirit of getting Fall down Drunk & Really Boring whilst wearing a Bad Outfit.
In some parts of Australia like Melbourne where the race is held, it's a public holiday. But not in Sydney. And quite frankly, I'm glad. 
As you can see, I was at my usual post at the whiteboard. But I'm Dressed for The Cup anyway. If you enlarge the photo you may see that I'm wearing a necklace that I made myself featuring a painting of a horse.
I'm Nothing if Not Appropriately Themed.
The expensive shoe shop that every Wannabe Fashionista flocks to on the weekend that I  mentioned in my last post had cute little racehorses in the window in front of Hugely Overpriced & Impossible to Wear Follow Me Home Stilettos. They're the kind of shoes that Avid Racegoers totter down the street in after a few bottles of champers desperately holding on to their Precariously Perched Floral Fascinators & freezing their tits off because they're wearing dresses up to their arses & it's not that warm yet. 
God, can't you feel the Resentment just Dripping off the Blog?

3 comments:

workthatwardrobe said...

Your post took me back to earlier this year and the Grand National which takes place a few miles from here in Aintree.
I love getting the train that week especially on Ladies Day - the girls are as inappropriately dressed as the comments which come out of their perfectly painted mouths.
That's on the way there.
On the way back the make-up has been smeared and the hair is all over the place (it's always windy). It's such fun.

see you there! said...

You paint a hilarious picture of the Avid Racegoers and their Precariously Perched Floral Fascinators. Made me giggle.

Darla

PS: my word verification today is UPEST. Are you trying to tell me something???? LOL!

Billie-Mae K said...

Lol that perfectly captures the type that goes to races! We had some shinies stumbling around lyneham on the day - god knows why, there isn't a racetrack or social photographer in miles.

Thinking of you,

BM