Thursday, November 6, 2008

Purple for Victory

My best friend Marge in Thousand Oaks California just emailed me & exclaimed, 'What, no Della?' 
Marge doesn't like it when Della is Silent because it COuLD mean that I'm lying on the floor of my apartment in a foetal ball after drinking some Weed Killer or maybe some Bleach.
So, I just had to Crank Up the Computer & get Ol'Della talking. 
And I've got lots to say.
I just couldn't do anything much yesterday except sit at the computer & later at the TV screen & cry. I can't remember the last time I cried at a World Event. Probably the death of Princess Diana, although I do occasionally cry when I see all the old Aussie Soldiers marching on our Annual ANZAC Day march. 
By mid-afternoon I was exhausted from waiting so I trudged home from school & lay down for a little nap, only to be woken up by a text from my daughter saying, 'Obama won!'
 I went out into the street & I could hear people talking Obama Obama.
 I stood at the supermarket checkout & heard the woman next to me say to the cashier - 'Say, have you heard the news? Obama won!' 
I would have given anything to have been crushed in that crowd in Grant Park & to have heard his wonderful speech & to marvel at the amazing outfit that Michele had on.
Speaking of outfits, I wore my newly-thrifted real satin purple shirt just for the occasion, as I believe that purple is the colour of Victory & Royalty. 
And I also want to draw attention to my shoes.  Please note that they are v. similar to the new ones that are in a stylish local shop that I walk past about ten times a day.  The price tag is $270. Except that mine were bought from the 'Beatniks & Bohemians' thrift shop which is about ten metres away. For $15. 
I'm Nothing if not Smug. The only Snag is that because I have a flexible attitude about shoe size if it's thrifted, mine are a little Snug. But I can still walk in them.


In these challenging times, I'm taking the advice of one of my heroes Simon Doonan, Uber-Window Dresser & author of 'Beautiful People' & 'Eccentric Glamour' who says, 'Dress up rather than down in tough times. You owe it to your pals, family & colleagues to present yourself in an optimistic and fabulous way'
I'm with Simon.
Expect More Dressing Up.

4 comments:

Mervat said...

Yay! Della's back!

That royal purple looks great on you!

By the way did you notice the arrow and, I think what appears as the word 'euphemism' on the whiteboard in that picture? It may be more appropriate to your Cup day outfit...ie. your nice way of sarcastically saying 'hooray its cup day'...my sentiments exactly!

Sheila said...

You look lovely in purple! Great steal on the shoes.

It's amazing how the US election ripples around the world. Canada was in a similar euphoria.

Darla said...

Great purple satin. I'm going to have to find out more about Simon Doonan.

BTW, martini's taste much better than either weed killer or bleach and you can still curl up in a little ball when you're finished.

Darla

rabespierre said...

i loved michelle's dress too! it got some bad press, but i liked how it was both hot and looked like a battlefield. it was pretty beautiful to be in chicago!!
glad you're not lying on the floor ...
xx hilary