Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Life is All About Priorities

Just recently, I've experienced some Pleasant Surprises when visiting the homes of Old Friends who I've sadly neglected for years & years & am now desperately trying to suck up to. The surprises have been around walking into a room in their house & suddenly discovering an artwork by me hanging up that I'd forgotten about. 
Last sunday I visited the wonderful art deco apartment of my old friend Jeni & her partner Mitch. Upon walking into their fabulously renovated study, I discovered the collage painting above, hanging over the mantlepiece. Of course, I immediately wondered if they'd quickly dragged the picture from the back of the cupboard & put it up just moments before I arrived. But I decided that I'd Let That Thought Go for once & just enjoy the thrill of seeing it.
You may or may not be able to read the text - Life is All About Priorities. It shows a merry group of Society Hobnobbers from the 50s relaxing in the front driveway of a House that has been severely earthquake damaged. 
I thought that this Silly Picture summed up my Current Mood & perhaps the moods of many of my fellow Australians right now. The death toll from the bushfires in the state of Victoria in South East Australia has just reached 181 & will probably rise to 200 by tomorrow morning. The charred remains of a family of three have just been found in their bath where they were sheltering. Hundreds & hundreds of people have lost everything , but the mood in the makeshift camps where people are gathering is one of gratitude to be alive. 
It certainly puts my little worries into perspective.

3 comments:

Darla said...

News about the fires is so sad. You are right, puts things in perspective.

That's a great painting, no wonder it has earned itself a place in the home of your friends.

Darla

Della Street Dreaming said...

thank you Darla! News of the fires is just so horrific. Meanwhile, in Sydney, it's raining & uncharacteristically cold for this time of year. Perhaps Global Warming.

Sheila said...

My heart goes out to all of those poor people - such a horrible thing.

That's a wonderful painting! I'm sure it has been out all this time.