Monday, August 31, 2009

Separated at Birth?


Of course, after all that talk about 'Slightly Slutty', I had to go & spoil it all by posting these photos of Me & The Duchess of Cornwall wearing almost the same outfit. Well, similar shades of Navy & white.

Navy is a colour that is Laden with Sub-Text for me. Back in the days before Black Became a Colour, women with 'Good Taste' swathed themselves in it. In fact, one of Diana Vreeland's most famous quotes is, 'Shocking Pink is the Navy of India'.
My Mother, who positively craved for me to look 'Refined & Nice' (her exact words), worshipped navy. She was desperate to see me in a little navy dress with perhaps gold buttons & white piping. And No Mullet or long dangling droopy hair like a drug addict.

Of course, I never went near Navy.
Oh, I do soo love that repeated 'N'. Particularly as it just came out by accident.

But look at me Now.
Duchess Della.
Let me briefly walk you through my outfit. The Fake Linen shirt & skirt is from 'Bednobs & Broomsticks', five bucks each. Navy Footless tights, probably twenty bucks. Real Bruno Magli navy shoes, a gift from my colleague, The Duchess (as opposed to The Duchess of Cornwell & Duchess Della) She was given them by her v. stylish elderly mother-in-law who doesn't realise that she has larger hoofs (or is it 'hooves'?) than her. Royal Blue sockettes, five bucks from 'Target'. Huge oversized resin bangle from 'Dinosaur Designs' warehouse sale, thirty bucks. Navy Tribalesque Beads made from maybe a part of an African Animal, a gift. Other Navy necklace, two bucks. Pearl earrings, two bucks recently purchased from 'Forever 51'.
I'm not entirely sure why I bothered to tell you the price of each item.
I did intend to add it all up & amaze you by announcing that it all came in under thirty bucks or something, but I couldn't be bothered.
And besides, if I said that, you may think that it only looks thirty bucks worth.


1 comment:

Darla said...

Very similar outfits but yours is more interesting. I was stuffed into lots of navy as a child too. I you are blond the powers that be were particularly relentless. I don't think I own a navy item today.

Darla