Wednesday, June 4, 2008

One Day I Knew I'd Have a 'Lifestyle'.






I was born with the Magazine Gene. Ever since I was very small I couldn't walk past a newstand without begging my mother to buy me something. She would often refuse, but I'd always throw a Giant Tanty & eventually get My Way. It began with British Schoolgirl Magazines, which had serialized stories about Hideous Bullying at ivy-covered boarding schools; then it was Pop magazines, full of pictures of The Beatles & Marianne Faithfull & Hayley Mills who I was convinced that I looked like; then 'Seventeen' magazine & finally 'Vogue', which I'm still reading.
For a few years during the late sixties, I was totally obsessed with 'Seventeen'. I remember reading an article in it one day & seeing for the first time the word, 'Lifestyle'. I didn't exactly know what it meant, but I decided then & there that one day I'd have one.
I adored the clothes, the Models & the Real Life Models who had names like Jamee & Kimberly. For a little girl from Daggy Sydney, America looked so new & shiny. Every teenage girl had a pink phone in her bedroom & a closet full of crisp mix & match separates in startling colours & bold prints.
Lately I've been noticing that my wardrobe choices seem to be harking back to my 'Seventeen' days. I'm not sure if it's a good thing. I know that My Mother, if she was still around would be saying, 'Someone of your age shouldn't be wearing horizontal stripes! And what about those spotted tights that have no feet in them? I've never seen anything so ridiculous! Act your age for once!'
Sorry Mum.

1 comment:

Darla said...

I remember Seventeen Magazine, although no doubt I was reading earlier issues than you were. I once had a White Stag jacket that Mom ordered from them. I was a Very Big Deal at the time :-)

Love your horizontal look!

Darla